Good things

It was a little scary how much of this I ate before thinking “Hmmm, that might be enough.”

On Monday afternoon Caitlin arrived home with these

Surprise flowers!

They’re from the lovely Juliette who I know through the kids’ school and who occasionally comments here, she decided to spoil me with real flowers instead of virtual ones after reading my recent posts. Thank you so very much Juliette, they made my day and I’ve been enjoying sitting here on the lounge with that gorgeous display visible over the top of my laptop screen all week πŸ™‚ Almost all the blooms are open now and they’re lasting beautifully.

Today’s lunch with my Dad – rockmelon, proscuitto, haloumi, tomato, token baby spinach and turkish bread

Lunch with my Dad

I went along with Dad to see his psychiatrist today and had a quite reassuring chat about what the family can contribute to looking after Dad and helping him to get well and so on. Apparently we hadn’t done too badly on figuring out the right things to do – everything we’d come up with got the nod from the doctor. We then went and grabbed a few groceries and headed back to my place for lunch. I discovered Dad had never had haloumi cheese, an omission that could not be permitted to stand. “It’s a bit more-ish,” he said. “Isn’t it just!” said I.

15 Responses to “Good things”

1. Deborah says:

Next time you're making that lunch, can I come too?

2. Splock says:

You do realise there's a Dalek hiding behind those flowers?

3. mimbles says:

It's all right, R2-D2 has the situation under control.

4. sim says:

so, um, I've never had haloumi cheese either πŸ˜‰

5. mimbles says:

@sim – Well then, you'd better come over for lunch some time!

@Deborah – You're totally invited too, but I'm not sure the trip would be worth it πŸ™‚

6. Malyn says:

greek style haloumi – lightly crumbed (seasoned flour), shallow fry till brown (just like you've done I think)…and then, squeeze some lemon on before serving…divine!

7. mimbles says:

I don't bother with the flour but, yes, lemon juice definitely.

8. ausmerican says:

You should have kept eating the chocolate and peanut butter. *enables*

And that lunch looks soooo yummeh!

9. cat says:

Oh the lunch looks great! Those stargazer lillies are just gorgeous.

10. mimbles says:

@ausmerican – That's just it! I did keep eating it, I started with that whole block of chocolate and then suddenly there were only 2 squares left! Adam did eat a couple though…

@cat – Is that what the flowers are called? *has a gardener for a reason* πŸ™‚

11. Cathy says:

Mim – these are all 'great' things not just good. I love haloumi cheese, and I haven't had it for several years now. Too much mozzarella on offer here! The flowers are gorgeous too.

12. Hi... says:

OK, now I want to come over for lunch – that looks delicious!!

Just yesterday, I bought myself the exact same Lindt chocolate bar…but it never occurred to me to put peanut butter on it – ingenious. GOod thing I still have most of the bar left…I'm suddenly getting hungry for it!

Ruth

13. Malyn says:

mim, bother with the flour next time; it adds texture and that's important in food, too.

that luxurious copy of Reese's (choc and peanut butter) is so wicked and still debating whether it's worth a go. Hmmm, we actually have individual Lindt squares …..

14. Penthe says:

Also the flour makes it spit less in the pan or griller, which reduces the likelihood of burning down the house in the pursuit of salty goodness.

Am thinking of trying Lindt and haloumi.

15. Unknown Mami says:

I've never had haloumi cheese. Now I'm curious.