New loom

Adam made me a new loom for my tablet weaving from plans I drew up. It’s not an unqualified success, the design needs tweaking and the execution is a little…unrefined, shall we say, but it’s a step up from a plank of wood with two bits of dowel stuck in that keep falling out!

New loom

The tensioning isn’t quite right and every time someone speaks to me I lose my place in the turning sequence, but nevertheless, slowly but surely, I’m managing to produce a Birka strapwork pattern. Emphasis on slowly.

Birka strapwork

Meanwhile, the aforementioned plank and dowel combo has a Greek key patterned piece on the go for when my brain goes on strike and I can’t count any more. I’m using my beautiful new timber tablets which I got in exchange for a couple of lengths of weaving when we were at Armidale over Easter. They’re very nice to use, must get some more of them – I only have 12.

Greek key pattern

9 Responses to “New loom”

1. Deborah says:

The pattern is very compelling; I've spent quite some time following it with my eye, and getting absorbed in it.

2. Kazzy says:

I think that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! And you are really good at it. Do you make clothing items too?

3. Cathy says:

That pattern is really interesting Mim. Adam is truly the best hubbie a girl could have, right?

4. mimbles says:

@Deborah It has that great 3D effect doesn't it. The instructions for making it come with a warning to avoid blue/red or green/purple combos on account of possible headaches or nausea 🙂

@Kazzy Thank you! Do you mean weave clothing items? No, I haven't ventured into anything like that yet. Maybe one day… I did see a loom pattern online that lets you weave a triangular shawl, that looked pretty cool. Also, I could steal my son's backstrap loom and make scarves or wraps.

@Cathy Yep, I'm so keeping him 🙂

5. Ruth Branson says:

I am in total amazement that you can produce such things. The comment about this pattern being compelling is the perfect word choice. Wow. And how awesome to have a hubbie that can produce what you design – nice combination of effort!

Have a great day Mim.

Ruth

6. Ariane says:

Those timber tablets – could the larger laminex type samples do the job?

And that pattern is pretty awesome. It looks like you can make much wider pieces on this loom?

7. mimbles says:

Thanks Ruth 🙂

@Ariane Yeah, laminex samples would probably work though getting the holes nice and smooth might be a bit tedious, but as the point of the exercise is to have historically accurate ones it'd kind of defeat the purpose – hacked up playing cards are the easiest non HA option. I'm pretty sure I've found the person who made the timber ones on Etsy so I will be getting more 🙂

8. Mrs4444 says:

Very cool. How nice that Adam is as handy as you are 🙂

9. Evansmom says:

What a talented family you have!